Applying to be a Maintenance Prescriber for OUD Drug Therapeutics and/or Methadone for Pain Management
This section is for NPs seeking authorization to become a maintenance prescriber for OUD drug therapeutics and/or methadone for pain management to clients who are stable on therapy initiated by an approved prescriber.
Requirements for Approval
- Review the Nurse Practitioner Scope of Practice Policy (2.7)
- Practicing NP license in good standing
Applying for OUD Drug Therapeutics
Before applying to the CRNS for approval to prescribe OUD drug therapeutics, you must have completed:
a) one of the following OUD educational courses:
- Opioid Agonist Therapy Conference by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan.
- Provincial Opioid Addiction Treatment Support Program (online & in-person) from the British Columbia Centre on Substance Use.
- Addiction Care and Treatment Course (online) from the University of British Columbia.
- Alberta Opioid Dependency Treatment Course (online) from the University of Calgary.
b) Completed at least 16 hours of practicum with another OUD drug therapeutics initiating provider.
Applying for Methadone for Pain Management
Before applying to the CRNS for approval to prescribe methadone for pain management, you must have completed:
a) the following methadone for pain management course:
- Methadone for Pain in Palliative Care course (online) by Canadian Virtual Hospice.
b) a one-day internship with an approved methadone initiating prescriber.
Application Approval Process
Complete the following documents and email to email@example.com:
- NP Practice Assessment-Maintenance Prescriber for OUD Drug Therapeutics and/or Methadone for Pain Management.
- NP Undertaking-Prescribing OUD Drug Therapeutics and/or Methadone for Pain Management.
- NP Maintenance Prescriber Application-OUD Drug Therapeutics and/or Methadone for Pain Management.
Once your application has been approved, you will receive written confirmation by email of approval.
NP Surrender Prescribing Approval Process
An NP may surrender approval to prescribe OUD treatment and/or methadone for pain management. If you are no longer requiring approval to prescriber OUD treatment and/or methadone for pain, complete the NP Surrender Prescribing Approval form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements for approval are subject to bylaw and Council policy changes.
If you have questions, contact email@example.com