Practice Hours Extension

This section is for you if you are a current member and are concerned that you will not have enough hours to meet the minimum requirement to be licensed.


To be licensed as a practicing RN, you must work in a recognized RN role for at least 1125 hours in the 5-year period preceding the registration year that you seek licensure. For an NP, it is 900 hours in a 3-year period and, for an RN(AAP), it is 900 hours in 3-year period.

For illustration, if you are applying for a 2021 license, you would have worked a minimum of 1125 hours between December 1, 2015 and November 30, 2020. For an NP or RN(AAP), you would have worked a minimum of 900 hours between December 1, 2017 and November 30, 2020.

Extensions to the hourly bylaw requirement is an application process that, if granted, can allow you more time to fulfill the hourly requirement. For an RN, granting an extension when you have practiced less than 900 hours in five years is rare.

Extensions are granted for no more than 120 days and have several requirements. All hours accumulated during your extension period are not eligible for contribution to the current licensure year but rather they apply to the previous licensure year.

Extension Request Requirements:

  1. Signed and dated letter of request for extension
  2. Hours verified by employer(s)
  3. Letter of guaranteed employment from current employer
  4. Positive current/recent employer reference
  5. Completed self-assessment based on the current CRNS standards and entry-level competencies, and create a learning plan
  6. Review of the current CNA Code of Ethics for Registered Nurses

To request an extension, submit the following by August 31:

  • Submit a signed and dated letter identifying the circumstances that prevented you from meeting your hourly bylaw requirement
  • A form will be provided to you to request your employer to verify your hours worked
  • Submit a signed and dated letter from your employer guaranteeing your future employment and support in obtaining the shortfall
  • Submit the Consent Form to Obtain Employment Verification Information
  • Submit your Personal Assessment from the CCP program for the current year
  • Submit your learning plan for the current year
  • Submit your declaration of review of the CNA Code of Ethics

The above documents can be sent through regular postal mail, or by email to

What happens after I submit my request and documents?

Extension requests are reviewed by the Registrar and/or the Registration and Membership Committee. All requests are subject to further requirements not outlined above.

Requests are assessed based on the following criteria:

  • Employer's willingness to guarantee immediate employment
  • Continuing involvement in nursing on a yearly basis
  • Extenuating circumstances such as illness, accidents or death
  • Positive employer reference
  • Insightful self-assessment of standards and competencies
  • Member’s willingness to comply to the requirements imposed upon them as conditions of the extension.

What happens if I do not meet the requirements for an extension?

If you are not eligible to be licensed, you may be eligible to enroll in the Nursing Re-entry Bridging Program/Return to Practice (NRBP/RTP) offered through Saskatchewan Polytechnic. Upon successful completion, you will be eligible for licensure with the CRNS.

CRNS staff are available to support members through the renewal process. For help with your license renewal, click here for assistance.

Scroll to top